Thursday, May 26, 2011

Winter (and Carpet) is Coming!

Winter is coming, and my joints disapprove! The osteoarthritis in my hips has been especially painful the last few days, although I managed to leave the house yesterday afternoon in my wheelchair. It was the first time I had been well enough to leave the house in over a week, and I was dying to get out, so I went with mum and Ellenya to look at carpet!


The carpet that is currently on our floors is 17 years old, and is in desperate need of replacement. It was once soft and pale cream with flecks of pink. It is now flat and hard, and has become more of a grey-brown colour, with stains pretty much everywhere! We used a nice chocolate and pale pink rug in the lounge to cover the stains, and to make the room look nicer until we could save up for the new carpet, but now the bank balance has almost reached our goal, we are looking for replacement carpet. It is more exciting than it sounds, really!

Unfortunately, our short shopping trip revealed that most colours don't seem to be in fashion at our local carpet shops. They had an abundance of brown, beige and grey... and not much else! Ideally, a pale pink would match our house - but the only carpet that they had in that colour was "discontinued". Some of the carpets felt like weaved wire - all coarse and scratchy and hard - not the kind of thing you would want to walk around on in bare feet! So, we didn't commit to buying any new carpet yet. Mum is going to look at some other shops in the next town over. Hopefully she will find a nice soft carpet that's a prettier colour!


Although our trip wasn't very successful, I felt incredibly happy at being able to get out of the house! I saw different sights, smelled different smells (although the abattoir scent wasn't what I would call 'pleasant'), and met different people! It is awesome to go out - I guess leaving the house is something that people take for granted until it becomes a rare novelty! After visiting two carpet shops, I was exhausted and sick. I slept in the car while Mum and Ellenya went to the supermarket, then I came home and slept in bed until dinner time! Today I feel okay again... well - okay by my standards! I was even able to shower, so today is a good day!

Despite winter making my joints extra achy, it is a pretty time of year. This morning, there was a thick fog over our valley. 
Moke decided it wasn't really cat weather, but she would look at the fog through to wire door. 
The fog has lifted now, but it is still overcast outside. I can see pretty yellow autumn leaves on the vines out the window. It looks wintery and cold out there! I am glad we have heaters and blankets, and that I am warm in my armchair inside!


~Ad =)