Friday, November 26, 2010

My Dodgy Skin and Joints!

As well as having myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS), lately I have also been having a lot more joint problems than I have ever had before, so I thought I would write a bit about it. I have always had loose joints and been hyperflexible, but it has gotten a lot worse as I have gotten older (especially over the last year or so). I frequently spontaneously dislocate joints (even in my sleep), and my joints seem to like to swell up like balloons for no apparent reason as well (making it hard for me to move around). I take morphine to combat my daily pain - and that means that I can type, use a knife and fork, and move around (but I am not pain free, sadly - just a lot lot lot better than I was before I started taking it!) 

Anywayz, I have recently been diagnosed as having joint hypermobility Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS), and am having a bunch of tests to check for things like rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia (which my rheumatologist thinks I probably have), various viruses, and other things that could be causing my worsening of symptoms (and my new symptoms - swelling and much worse pain!) 
As well as my joint problems, I am kinda concerned about the strange bruising that I get (especially since my dad saw them and got all concerned and made me kinda scared! lol). I have always bruised easily, and my bruises take ages to heal. Since I have recently been diagnosed with EDS, I have been reading that this is something that can be part of EDS. My bruises also seem to heal from the inside out - so I kind of get left with weird-looking rings of bruise for ages! It is very weird and pretty ugly!

These are on the back of my calf (yep, looks darn sexy in a dress... lol!)
Anyway, I recently got massively attacked by mozzies (they seem to love me! They didn't bite anyone else that was outside that day!), and the bites are all turning into weird bruises now. I look kind of like I have some odd spotty skin disease! 
I'd love to hear comments on this topic - especially from other people with EDS! Am I just weird, or is this kinda normal for people with this? lol! 


~Adrielle =)